Sunday, June 12, 2011

MLP 4 Local Radio Stations

Choices... choices.... too many choices!  How many times have you heard someone say, " there is nothing on TV?!" Unbelievable huh!? Most of us have cable, satelite t.c. giving us hundreds of channels!  and it is true... sometimes there is nothing of interest on! Have you ever heard someone say they couldn't find any good music playin? Ironic... because as I searched for the number of local channels I learned that there are relatively few (considering there are hundreds of TV) channels. However, the diversity is pretty broad. Just to keep good 'ole competition and free market in play there are at least 2 of each genre in the local range.  We have WLLV and WJIE competeing for the Gospel/contemporary Christian, WAMZ and WAKY for country, DJX and XMA for Top 40... and so on. 
There seem to be more local talk radio stations competing for the airwaves than music... maybe that is because so many people want there opinions heard and are under the delusion that there is a wide audience that actually wants to hear it.  Maybe the trend in our area is to debate more than to simply enjoy the sound of music!   I didn't come across any grassroot folk music stations which surprises me considering our surrounding rual areas. Although I won't pretend that I will miss that particular genre!

I did find it interesting that the local colleges and even a few high schools have their own radio stations... I wonder if the format of those stations have changed with the student body?   

No comments:

Post a Comment